My first encounter with this steamed cake was about 1 month ago when I was visiting one of the hotel in Kuta, looking for a place for my wedding reception (But, we:me&hunny, decided to celebrate our wedding reception at Niksoma later on)
I always love the taste of rock palm sugar. It's sweet but too too sweet... I think it's just perfect..
Time goes on....
And uncoincidentaly when I was in Malang (one part of my honeymoon after Kalimantan), Heiko (my mum-in-law's hubby) wanted to go to local bookstore, Gramedia Malang. Like many visits I made to bookstore, the first place to go is the cooking books' shelves "LOL"
I just couldn't resist it, dear!
I browsed some books and found Resep Praktis Sisca Soewitomo: Cake Lezat and it has brown sugar palm steamed cake recipe!! YIPEEEE...
The recipe is sooo simple and you could save your mixer in your cupboard :D
all you need is a whisker to combine all the ingredients ( Save the electricity!!!)
More over, the recipe only calls for 1 egg and I'm supportive enough for any recipes that using less egg ( I have to put concern on my health rite??) :D
I hope you'll enjoy the recipe too
Cake Gula Merah (Palm Sugar Steamed Cake)
Yield: 12 if using medium muffin tin, 24 if using small muffin tin
125 g sugar (I use only 80 g)
125 g rock palm sugar, sliced. (I use 140 g)
150 ml water
250 g cake flour
1/2 t bicarbonate of soda (I use onle 1/4 t)
1/2 t instant yeast
100 ml vegetable oil
- Prepare the muffin tin, put the paper cup, set aside. Heat the steamer.
- Put all sugar and water into a saucepan, bring to boil until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, cool.
- Add flour, combine well. Add bicarbonate of soda, instant yeast, and egg. Vigourously mix (add this step the mixture is a lil bit sticky)
- Pour in oil slowly while continue whisking until the mixture is well combined and slick.
- Divide evenly into the prepared tin
- Steam for 15 mins with fire on its highest set until the cakes "blooming"
- Do NOT open the steamer lid while steaming. The cake won't "blooming" if you did.
- Put the fire on the highest setting on your stove to create lots of steam.
- Don't let the cake steamed for more than 16 mins because it will change the texture. the result will be dry.