It's one of old fashioned Indonesian-traditional-cakes. I got this recipe from Mbak Rita. She's not only giving me d recipe but the tricks how to make it rite as well. The tricky part in making this cakes is to get the sponge-texture-like. This cake is a bit chewy and the sweetness of caramel makes you want more... Give it try for yourself..
Mbak Rita’s Caramel Cake
- 325 g sugar
- 325 ml hot water
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 can (150 ml) sweet condensed milk
- 2 t baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 200 g cake flour
- 1 t bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t vanilla powder
- Melt the sugar in low heat until caramelized. Add water and continue boil until caramel thoroughly dissolved. Remove, cooled.
- Combine butter, milk, and baking powder. Beat until white and fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until just incorporated (*see NOTE). Add dry ingredients alternately with caramel and DO NOT stop beating in low speed.
- Add butter&milk mixture. Beat well. (*The mixture is not thick but still liquid-like) Pour into 22 cm well greased and floured tulban tin.
- Bake for 60 mins in 180C oven.
- Heat sugar in very low heat for getting a nice and good caramel. High heat would burn the caramel and could be such a waste.
- Pour the water into caramel with extra caution. It would spark if you pour the water at once. Wait until the caramel has dissolved then stir gently until caramel completely dissolved.
- Use only HOT WATER!!!
- Beat eggs just till just incorporated, NO NEED to beat it until fluffy. By doing this you will got those beautiful pores like sponge inside the cake.
- Leave the cake +/- 10 mins in the prepared tin before being baked.
- If the cake surface already brown before its time, put a piece of foil to cover the cake to prevent it from burnt.