...."Chocolate mayonnaise cake was invented in the thirties by the wife of a grocery salesman, to boost his mayonnaise sale"....
What happened to me, more and less the same...I have to "boost" the mayonnaise usage in my frigde as its expired date came closer by....hehehehe..I got the book some months ago and I finally managed myself to try one of its recipes (Thanks to the whole jar of Mayo :D "LOL")
Thanks to Mbak Rita who's being put a lot of effort to find this book to me...
Read the recipe first before you start drooling on this delicious choc cake...oops..watcha' for those keyboards "LOL"
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
(Nick Malgieri from CHOCOLATE -from simple cookies to extravagant showstoppers-)
original recipe was shared from Lisa Davies)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup alkalized (Dutch process) cocoa powder,sifted after measuring
1.5 t baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or whole milk plus 1 T distilled white vinegar or lemon juice)
1 cup bottled mayonnaise
1 t vanilla extract
confectioners' sugar for finishing
1 9-inch round cake pan, 2 inches deep, or a 9x9x2 inch square pan, buttered and bottom lined with parchment paper
Otw to yummy-yummy:
- Set the rack at the middle of the oven and preheat to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, andbaking soda and stir well to mix.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, and vanilla; stir into the dry ingredients to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 mins, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake emerges clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 mins, then invert onto a rack and peel off the paper. Cool completely.
- To serve, dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.